Hanover Court House

    These pages are dedicated to the memory of all the men from North Carolina that fought in the Civil War.

    This is a map of the battle at Hanover Court House
    Lebanon Church
    May 27, 1862
    (Part of the Peninsular Campaign)
    North Carolina Standard
    June 4, 1862
    The Fight at Hanover Court House
    Richmond, Virginia, May 30, 1862
    I give you an account of the fight at Lebanon Church in Hanover County 
    on the 27th inst.
    About 11:30 a.m., a captain of the Virginia cavalry informed Colonel 
    Charles Lee of the 37th N.C.T. that the enemy was advancing but that 
    he believed it would be a mere marauding party which might be captured 
    by prompt action.
    General Branch was at his headquarters more than a mile distant and as 
    no time could be lost, Colonel Lee at once sent three of his companies 
    under Lt. Col. Barber to meet them and notified General Branch of the same.  
    Colonel Lee soon learned that the enemy was advancing in considerable 
    force; he, therefore, sent forward the remainder of his regiment and placed 
    it in line of battle across the road and sent back for Captain Latham’s artillery 
    to reply to the battery which had opened upon his regiment.  He also asked 
    Colonel Wade of the 12th N.C.T. to place his regiment in the woods on the 
    right to prevent flank movements.  He then deployed Company A of the 37th 
    as skirmishers to protect the left flank.
    Captain Latham with two guns of his battery came forward and replied 
    vigorously for a short time until a shell was thrown into his caisson which 
    caused it to explode killing two men and two horses and wounding seven 
    men.  Our guns ceased to fire while moving back the disabled section.  
    Company F of the 37th now opened fire with Enfield Rifles upon the advancing 
    enemy and put him to flight, killing a lieutenant and two of his men.  The 
    enemy now retired from view having engaged us for two hours.
    General Branch about this time came upon the field and ordered the 18th 
    and 37th forward to support Colonel Lane’s 28th N.C.T., which had been 
    sent early in the morning to support two companies of the 37th on picket 
    some four miles distant.  These two regiments commenced to advance in 
    charge of Colonel Lee, the respective regiments being commanded by Col. 
    Cowen of the 18th and Col. Barber of the 37th.  
    Colonel Lee soon ascertained that the enemy had planted a battery of artillery 
    on a hill in front of him with strong infantry support.  This was reported to 
    General Branch.  General Branch ordered Colonel Lee to charge the battery 
    with the 18th and 37th.  Colonel Lee sent to the General, asking him to 
    cause Latham to engage the battery and to send up other infantry support 
    for the 18th and 37th.
    The 18th and 37th commenced the charge—the 18th sweeping gallantly 
    through an open field in the face of a terrible fire with good effect.  At the 
    same time the 37th advanced with rapidity and steadiness through a dense 
    forest in which the undergrowth was so thick that a man could not see more 
    than 30 steps.  
    The 37th rushed forward with enthusiasm until it encountered Yankees who 
    were concealed behind logs, trees, and in the cut of a roadway which was 
    bordered by a fence of cedar brush.  Here the enemy had every advantage 
    of position while his force was vastly superior but Colonel Lee’s men stood 
    like veterans.  Officers and men stood as firm as rocks within fifteen to twenty 
    paces of the Yankee line.  Volley after volley of grape from the cannon and of 
    minie balls from their infantry mowed down our men, still the 37th moved 
    forward, driving the enemy before them.  Unable to withstand the well directed 
    fire of the 18th and 37th, the enemy fled from their battery, leaving their flag 
    in the field.  
    While these two regiments were fighting as only brave men can fight, and were 
    driving from their position the enemy of six regiments of infantry and one battery 
    of artillery, strange to say, no assistance was sent to them though General 
    Branch had at his side a battery of artillery and four regiments of infantry.
    At last when no more able to stand alone against such heavy odds, the two 
    regiments fell back stubbornly, contesting the ground as they retired.  They 
    had fought long, especially the 37th which had been under fire nearly six hours.  
    Their loss was very heavy.  The 37th had only seven companies on the field 
    (Companies D and E being on picket and Company B being detailed to 
    guard the wagon train), yet it lost 160 in killed, wounded and missing, 
    more than one out of every three men.  The loss of the 18th was quite 
    severe they leaving 160 of their men on the field.
    Colonel Campbell’s 7th and Colonel Wade’s 12th N.C.T. now covered the 
    retreat, holding the enemy in fine style.  None of our other troops were in the 
    action except Capt. Saunders’ Company of the 33rd N.C.T. which, while 
    deployed as skirmishers, captured a Yankee hospital and with it a surgeon, 
    four men and ten horses.  The hospital contained 49 wounded Yankees.  
    Their loss was quite severe—greater, perhaps, then our own, including 
    field officers.
    Our officers all behaved well. Colonel Lee and Major Dickerson were both 
    knocked from their horses by shells.  Lt. Col. Barber’s horse was killed 
    under him and he was slightly wounded in the neck.  Adjutant William F. 
    Nicholson’s horse was killed and then very nearly killed him.
    Colonel Lane’s regiment was entirely cut off and had to take care of itself.  
    Colonel Lane has cause to be proud of his men.  They encountered the 
    advance regiment of the enemy and killed some eighty or more and captured 
    some 68 prisoners who were sent to Richmond.
    Colonel Lane was then opposed by a superior force which almost entirely 
    surrounded him yet he conducted his command off and reached Richmond 
    yesterday.  His loss, however, is great and as many of his men broke down 
    and it is believed were captured by the Yankee cavalry.
    Captain Ashcraft and Farthing of the 37th with some 140 men were on picket 
    and started to Colonel Lane when they heard the firing.  Captain Ashcraft with 
    44 of his men and 15 of Captain Farthing’s escaped; the rest, it is feared, 
    were captured.
    North Carolina Standard
    June 18, 1862
    (Transcriber’s note, very faded, some were illegible)
    Killed, wounded and missing, Battle of Lebanon Church, May 27
    Company A
    Killed:  J.P. Sh – brood, John El - - - - n
    Wounded:  George Bryant, several flesh wounds in hip, (first name illegible) 
    Marsh, shot through body and both hips flesh wounds, A. Gentry, face, 
    probably mortal, Jonathan Perry, elbow, W.J. Davis, arm, George Craven, 
    both legs, Reuben Sexton, shoulder, missing, John Ward, heel shot off by 
    ball, L. Cox, John Weaver, shot in legs, missing, Lowry Miller, side, missing, 
    H.H. He - - - trin, cheek, severe, missing, Sgt. Reuben Darby, leg, missing
    Missing:  H. Blevins, David Eldreath, Jacob Eldreath, Eli Calloway, J.H. 
    Vannoy, Robert Gentry, W.A. Walker, Robert McCormack, John A. 
    Henderson(?), C.R. Carter, John Wyatt, William Walsh, Joshua S - - - - 
    per, M.V. Mullins, W. Cox, Jr., W. Cox, Sr., R.R. M. Lane, George Black, 
    Lt. W.A. Stuart
    Company B
    Missing:  L.H. Carlton, C.C. Miller, S. Grier
    Company C
    Wounded:  Frank Warsham, slightly in hip and finger, J.L. Reid, slightly in 
    finger, R.r. Warsham, slightly in finger
    Missing:  Samuel L. Hucks, Thomas A. Sloan
    Company F
    Killed:  James L. Caldwell, Daniel L. (last name illegible, starts with a ‘D’, 
    maybe Davis?), R.M. H - - key, William Willes(?)
    Wounded:  Lt. George R. - - - - ath, mortally wounded, shot in the head; 
    A.L. Bell, slightly wounded in thumb, Thomas P - - - - - -, finger shot off, 
    William J. Martin, breast injured, Jno Wallace in shoulder, Sgt. P.(?) M. 
    Sales, arm, L. Bu - - -  in arm, A.S. Hannah in thigh, one name totally illegible
    Missing:  A. Anderson, W. Anderson, J.B. Barlow, J.A. Botnigarm(?), L. 
    Dala(?) or Dale(?), J.C. Howell, B.H. Kelley, Moses Treadway
    Company G
    Killed:  Jas. Robinette, W.P. Robinette, J.B. Robinette, Anderson Reid, 
    John N. Austin
    Wounded:  H.P.(or F.?) Echart(?), shot through jaw and half of tongue cut 
    off; Lawson Crench(?), slightly in jaw, A. Brown, severely, V.S Teague, 
    flesh wound left arm, Sgt. T.H. Chapman, shot through jaw passing out 
    through the mouth, Corp. W.C. Walker, hip severe, H.C. Puishel(?) hand, 
    A.E. Robinette
    Missing:  Corp. William D. McCracken, John Hennington, N.G. Fox, 
    William Fox, G.w. Barnes, Lt. R.L. Steele, David Austin, Hiram Kirby, 
    John C. Robinette, Thomas Winkler, Noah De – ler(?) A.A. Gryder, W.W. 
    Gryder, George Barnes, wounded and missing
    Company H
    Killed:  Andrew Summey, Robert Turner, H.A. Wright, George F. McGinnis
    Wounded:  Capt. William G. Morris, slightly in neck, Lt. H.C. Fite in arm, 
    H.M. Rhine in arm badly, John W. Weathers shoulder, Jas. A. Cannon arm, 
    Robert F. Ragan face, ------- Ford, face, W.G. Ford shoulder, Jas. P. 
    Briomer(?) side, John Thomason slightly in arm, George W. McKee head, 
    Jas. Fite, hand, Emmanuel Clortiger hand, W.R.D. Abernathy, arm, 
    missing, George Ball shoulder, missing, Oliver Brown in body badly, 
    missing, John Jenkins, in body badly, J.H. Pas - - - in arm badly, 
    Robertus Rutledge badly in leg, P.S. Rhyne, missing, Jas. A. Stowe, in 
    body, missing, P.W. Watson, missing
    Missing: Rufus Armstrong, L.J. Clemmer, L. Canedy, Jessie Elmore, 
    Robert Ferguson, T.A. Wilson, L.W. Lyriah, G.N. Ferguson, James Neal, 
    David Morrison
    Company I
    Killed:  Sgt. E.B. Wolf, Abram Clouts, J.J. Spears, David Stinson
    Wounded:  Joseph Black, supposed killed and left, Jas. Montgomery, 
    supposed killed and left, A.P. Young, supposed killed and left, Jacob 
    Shor (Shar?) badly wounded and left, Stirling Russell, supposed killed, 
    Robert Walker, supposed killed, Corp. Wilson, flesh wound in arm, J.P. 
    Gordon, slight in hip, G.W. Williamson, arm and shoulder, Lowry Adams 
    in foot, William Kisiah, in foot, J.S. Tagert in thigh, W.D. Conlay in leg, 
    Thomas A. Sharp in hand, Eli Patterson in hand slightly, B.G. Henry in 
    Missing:  L.A. Barnes, John Higginson, James Phillips
    Company K
    Killed:  William R. Muller, G. Douglas, W.D. Jones
    Wounded:  Capt. J.B. Johnson slight in foot, John Price, right forefinger 
    shot off, J. M. Halsay, right forefinger shot off, D.K. Evans, severe in shoulder
    Missing:  J.K. Bingham, mortally wounded, Corp. F. Lory, mortal in side, 
    M.D. L. Parsons, flesh wound in thigh, Abram Evans, Corp. W.R. Jones, 
    John Gurbb(?), James Richardson, and Isham Jones
    Company D and E were on picket duty and surrounded by the enemy, but 
    Company D escaped with 50 men and 15 of Company e.
    The 37th Regiment was during the engagement proper under the direction 
    of Lt. Col. Barber as I had charge of a larger force.  The North Carolinians 
    will have cause to remember the Battle of Lebanon Church as the bloodiest 
    battle they were ever in.
    C.C. Lee
    Colonel, 37th Regiment
    Losses Company A, Capt. E.F. Lovell, Surry, 28th (?) N.C. Regiment in the 
    late Battle at Hanover Court House, Virginia
    Killed:  P.H. Roberts, J.R. Key
    Wounded:  Hugh Puckett
    Missing:  Corp. W.C. Key, S. Axum, Jas. Ashburn, C.H. Atkinson, J.T. 
    Blackwood, R. Brown, E.W. Bray, L.H. Burris, J.W. Cockerham, J.H. 
    Childress, D. Edwards, W.A. Gregg, M. Glascoe, John Harris, William Morris, 
    H.G. Pool, W.C. Parks, Albert Parsons, H. Patterson, James Puckett, John 
    Reid, Oliver Stanley(?), John Hyatt
    North Carolina Standard
    June 18, 1862
    Headquarters, 18th N.C.T
    Casualties in the fight at Hanover Court House
    Company A, from New Hanover—German volunteers
    Capt. T.W. Brown, Jr., missing; 1st Lt. G.A. Johnson, mortally wounded (since dead); 
    Sgt. John Bonsold, missing; Corps. A. Simmons, Wm. Hall, wounded; Ptes. A. 
    Slobohn, John Hoerner, G.D. Hackerman, H.R. Kyhl, Ernest Ortman, Henry Steller(?), 
    Company B, from Bladen
    Captain W.J. Sykes, killed; Sgt. H. Edwards, missing; Corp. J.N. Wilson, killed
    Killed:  Ptes. J. Guyton, D.(or O.) Hammond, T.N. Metichee(?), D.P. Shaw(?)
    Wounded:  D.J. Jordan, R.S. Cheshire, L. Blackwell, C.L. Hilburn, H.W. Singletary, 
    N. Edwards, J.E. Nance, Edward Pate, R. Roberts, H. Weeks
    Missing:  Wm. Lovett, D. Pate, J.F. Rackley, A. Regan, M.B. Singletary, Drummer 
    F. Tilley
    Company C from Columbus County
    2nd Lt. Samuel A. Long, wounded but fought the battle out; Sgt. E.V. Latta, wounded 
    Killed:  Moses Williams, Jas. M. Long, W.W. Long, J.L. Ward, J.E. Bellamy, J.M. Jones
    Wounded:  Sgt. W.J. Lay, Corps. James M. Bennett, Charles Jones, Ptes. E. Meares, 
    W.R. Ward, S.P. Wilkins, D.M. Williamson, William Best, B. Strickland, E. Tait, 
    W.D. Rhodes
    Missing:  W.R. Best, E.K. Vance, S.A. Vance, Robert Wilson, Daniel Green, Burwell 
    Company D from Robeson County
    2nd Lt. Neill Townsend, Sgt. Needham Thompson, wounded
    Killed:  Corps. Elias Woodell, Guilford W. Edwards, Pte. Bunyan Stancil, (first name illegible)
    Edwards T.F. Gilbert, Jno Barnes, E.J. Britt, Thomas Capps(?), K. Lovitt, James M. 
    Missing:  John Brett, Alva Lawsen
    Company E, from New Hamover
    Killed:  Quincey Williams, B.F. Bridgen, Owen Kinion(?)
    Wounded:  Corp. A. Pridgen, D.J. Corbett(?), T.D. Malpass, A. Flanagen, A.B. 
    Roche(?), G.W. Malpass, Henry Moore, J.L. Pigford, H.L. Peterson, J. F. Pridgen, 
    W.T. Stringfield, W.F. Brown, G.F. D – l - - se (Deluise?), W.R. Garriss
    Missing:  Sgt. D.P. Stringfield, Corp. D. J. Stringfield, Ptes. C.(?) M. Taylor, G.A. Hariss
    Company F, from Richmond County
    Killed:  Ptes. A.J. Clark, A.B. McLauchlin, Alex Jones
    Wounded:  Corp. M. Calhoun, N. Brown, William Buchanen, H.P. Graham, John A. 
    Henderson, A.H. McNeill(?), H.L. Patterson, A.W. Roper, A.A. Huckabee, John M. 
    McLauchlin, John F. McLean, W.H. McNeill, Samuel Wright
    Missing:  Corps. John F. McNair(?), N. McN Smith, H.C. Calhoun, John Hughes, M. 
    McCormick, D. McKinnen, A.L. McRae, L.C Palma(?), D.M. Gibson, John G. Martin, 
    M. McDuff, W.H. Murphy, W.H. Nelson, E. Norton, C.N. Tintower(?), William Wallace
    Company G, New Hanover Light Infantry
    Killed:  Pte. Sam D - - r
    Wounded:  Corp. S.J. King, J.B. Morrison, T.F. Mills
    Missing:  Corp. C. F - - nner, J.M.K. W - - ted, (first name illegible) Mills, Ellis Bright
    Company H, Columbus County
    Wounded:  Corp. G.R. Polly(?) Kelly(?), Melvin Hinson(?), Pte. Bryant A. Young(?), 
    A.M. Watkins, John J. Edwards, L.(?) Newman, William Lemore Frisk(?), W.M. Harper(?), 
    Henry B - - - - - - , William J. Hinson, John J. Siddett(?), John W. Telder(?)
    Missing:  Corp. Major(?) McKee, Daniel Sutherland, Joseph Fisher, John Proctor(?)
    Company I, New Hanover—None
    Company K, Bladen
    Killed:  1st Sgt. A. Rinaldi, 1st Corp. J.N. A - - - ers, Ptes. C.W. Bryan, A. King
    Wounded:  S.B. P - - - - , W.E. Atkinson, A.S. Wells, J. Crommaire(?)
    Missing:  C. Swindell, J. McKetchen(?), C. (last name illegible), Lewis Farr(?), Corp. 
    W.J. Maltsby(?), T.F. Bridgen, Henry McA- - ,  J.R. Dinnan(?), W.S. McDuffie, James 
    Davis, D. Ferguson, W.J. McMilan, W.H. Si - - - , M.V. Sutton
    The above includes all the missing up to this date, June 3.  Many missing on the day 
    of battle have come in.  Those reported wounded and left on the field were for the most 
    part carried to the field hospital which afterwards fell into the hands of the enemy.  We 
    had no ambulances and no means of bringing them off.  There can be no doubt some 
    of those left on the field are dead.  It is possible some of the missing may come in—
    some of them are doubtless wounded—the most of them prisoners.
    North Carolina Standard
    July 2, 1862
    North Carolina Wounded and Captured
    Correspondent of the Petersburg Express
    Near Richmond, Virginia, June 22, 1862
    Mr. Editor:
    Permit me to communicate through your columns the following list of wounded 
    belonging to the “Branch Brigade” who were in the engagement at Hanover Court 
    House on May 27 and are still prisoners with the enemy.
    Teph Burgess, Latham’s N.C. Battery, wounded in left temple and eye
    Martin Messer, Company B, 7th N.C.R., compound fracture of left thigh
    Thomas T. Robeson, Company E, 12th N.C.R., wounded left side
    Lewis Hedgpeth, Company I, 12th N.C.R., flesh wound right thigh
    The following are from the 18th N.C., Colonel Cowan:
    Lt. George A Johnston, Co. A, perforating wound of chest, considered mortal
    George D. Hackerman, Co. A, flesh would right leg
    Moses Williams, Co. C, flesh wound right leg
    Wallace Long, Co. C, flesh wound right thigh
    William D. Rhodes, Co. C, wounded in abdomen, June 9
    J.M. Pherrell, Co. D, compound fracture of right leg, amputated below knee when 
    last seen June 17, was in a dying condition
    Thomas Cape(?), Co. D, perforating chest wound last seen June 17 in a dying condition
    Bunyan Stan - - - , Co. D, compound fracture of right leg, amputated below knee
    Archibald B. Brooks, Co. E, penetrating wound of the chest
    George W. Malpass, Co. B, right shoulder and breast, died June 15
    Enos Tart, Co. E, flesh wound left thigh
    William H. McNeal, Co. F, flesh wound foot
    Samuel Wright, Co. F, flesh wound in back
    Lewis Cassilun, Co. E, wounded in left knee joint, thigh amputated, died June 14
    Corp. Samuel King, Co. G, compound fracture right leg, amputated below knee, died June 11
    John William Tedder, Co. H, flesh would left thigh
    Albert R - - - li, Co. K, flesh wound left thigh
    Pte. --------- Brown, flesh wound in back
    The following belongs to the 33rd Regiment N.C.T., Colonel Robert Hoke:
    John Guy, Co. A, finger of right hand shot off and afterwards amputated
    The following belong to the 37th Regiment N.C.T.:
    L.A. Cox, Company A, compound fracture right thigh
    Benjamin C. Coldron, Co. A, perforating wound of the brain through the right eye, died June 11
    Sgt. William Hurley, Co. A, wounded in the right knee joint
    George Craven, Co. A, right knee joint, thigh amputated, died June 12
    Robert Gentry, Co. A, perforating chest wound
    M.V. Mullins, Co. A, left thigh and testicle, died of tetanus June 9
    Jas. Cardell, Co. F, flesh wound right thigh
    Peyton Rhyne, Co. H, wound in left cheek, tongue and fracture of inferior maxilla
    E.P. Clemmer, Co. B, perforating chest wound, died June 16
    R.D. Rutledge, Co. B, flesh wound left leg
    John B. Nicholson, Co. I, wound in left side
    M.D. Parsin, Co. K, flesh wound right thigh
    Corp. William Walker, perforating wound in abdomen, died June 2
    These wounded are partially in my charge within the enemy lines.  They have been 
    removed to Fortress Monroe.
    It may be encouraging to the relatives of the wounded and it is due the enemy to state  
    that all the Confederate wounded are kindly treated and well cared for all receiving like 
    accommodations and attention.  No preference is shown to the Federal wounded.  
    In this respect, at least, our foe conforms to the usages of civil warfare.
    J.F. Shaffner
    Surgeon, C.S.A.
    33rd Regiment N.C.T.
    Fayetteville Observer
    The Fighting in Hanover County, Va.
    We gave in our last the accounts published by the Richmond papers of the brilliant 
    engagement between Col. Jas. H. Lane’s 28th N.C. Regiment and the Yankees at Hanover 
    C.H., near Richmond. They added that the engagement had been renewed lat in the day 
    but particulars had not been received of the result.  
    In this second engagement, it would seem that three North Carolina Regiments of Branch’s 
    Brigade, the 18th, 28th, and 33rd, participated.  We annex all of interest relating the fight 
    contained in the Richmond papers of the 29th and 30th ult.
    The Whig of Thursday says:
    The affair at Hanover Court House, Tuesday, was of a more serious character than we supposed.  
    Our information yesterday morning came down only to the engagement between North Carolina 
    and the New York regiment, in which the latter was very roughly handled.  Later intelligence 
    advises us that after this quite a large Yankee force came upon the ground and was met by 
    three regiments from our side, who fought them until the overpowering weight of numbers 
    caused us to fall back.  Accounts differ as to the casualties sustained, but we fear they were 
    quite considerable.  The regiments on our side were from North Carolina.
    The most plausible version of the affair that reached us was that a portion of General Branch’s 
    brigade, which consists of five North Carolina Regiments and one Georgia Regiment (45th), 
    engaged the enemy, Tuesday, at Peak’s turnout, about midway between Atlee’s and the 
    Junction on the Central Railroad; that after the capture of sixty Federals, the 45th Ga., and 
    the 33rd N.C. were sent around to “bag” a supposed small force of Yankees, while the 18th 
    and 28th advanced to engage them; that the enemy proved to be in larger force than was 
    expected, with two batteries between which and Latham’s battery, a sharp exchange of shot 
    and shell was conducted for an hour or two; and that in charging the Federal batteries, the 
    two N.C. regiments were exposed to a galling fire from infantry and artillery, and repulsed 
    with considerable loss.  The same informant states that the enemy lost heavily during the fight.
    No official information of this affair, we were informed, had reached the War Department, last 
    night, and the reports were discredited, or regarded as gross exaggerations.  All that is 
    certain known is that there was heavy firing in the direction of Atlee’s on Tuesday.
    The Enquirer of Thursday says:
    The skirmish of Tuesday near Hanover Court House, commenced between a regiment of 
    N.C. troops attached to General Branch’s Brigade, and an advance party of the enemy.  
    Our troops gallantly repulsed the foe, took 63 prisoners and pursued the Yankees back 
    upon their main body.  The Confederate Regiment now found itself fighting a whole division 
    of the hostile army; and consequently, in their turn, our men fell back upon their own brigade.  
    Here the fight ended. The loss in killed and wounded is not believed to have been considerable 
    on either side, though that of the enemy is supposed to have been the greater.
    Thursday’s Examiner says:
    From all we can learn of the engagement it appears that, Tuesday afternoon, our pickets 
    discovered the enemy advancing, and reported that a body of cavalry, supposed to be from 
    500 to 1,000 strong, was approaching our lines.  On this information, the 33rd N.C. and the 
    45th Ga., were ordered to make a movement with the design of cutting off the cavalry force 
    from the main body.  The 18th and 28th N.C. were ordered to the front, and bore the brunt of 
    the engagement, as the terrible suffering of these two regiments testify.  We had but one field 
    battery in the action—Latham’s Battery.  The enemy had several batteries on the field, certainly 
    two.  It is reported that the 18th and 28th N.C. were ordered to take different batteries, and, on 
    dividing, were raked by the enemy’s fire in a most terrible manner.  Nearly two thirds of the 
    28th N.C. regiment are reported to have been killed or wounded or captured.  We were repulsed 
    and driven back with the loss of two guns, which were abandoned on the field.
    Our loss in killed and wounded is variously estimated at from 500 to 1,000.  It is impossible to 
    form any intelligent estimate of our loss, so various are the accounts we hear of it.  On retiring, 
    our forces fell back in the direction of Ashland, and destroyed the bridge just beyond it.
    Friday’s Examiner says:
    We learn that in Tuesday’s fight near Hanover Court House, Gen. Branch succeeded in 
    getting off his entire command, with the exception of one regiment, which got out of position, 
    but which yesterday effected a junction with the main body.  The force of the enemy was 
    largely superior to that of Gen. Branch.  The retreat was conducted in good order to Ashland, 
    where a panic suddenly broke out among our troops, and great confusion followed.  Ashland is 
    still within our lines.
    Friday’s Dispatch says:
    The heavy cannonading of Tuesday afternoon, and an uninterrupted musketry fire which 
    accompanied it from the (supposed) direction of Mechanicsville, remains as yet a mystery.  
    The whole of our troops in that vicinity were on the qui vive, and although feverishly excited, 
    none can explain the affair satisfactorily.  It is asserted, however, that the Federals, galled 
    by Branch’s successful ambuscade (by which he captured 50 odd men of the 25th New York), 
    had returned to the scene near Hanover Court House (or Ashland) and with a much superior 
    force, had re-opened the engagement, and cut up our forces generally.  From the number and 
    variety of reports, however, we are forced to the conclusion that Branch’s Brigade was unequal 
    to the task of repelling the odds against them, and though bravely contending for every inch of 
    ground, were subjected to very rough treatment at the hands of the 15,000 men under McDowell, 
    and that his small brigade of 8,000 suffered severely.  The train last evening brought down some 
    thirty of our wounded and some dozen of disabled Yankees.  When the train left Ashland, 
    McDowell was within a mile of that place.  It is true that Branch was eminently successful in 
    his first attack in the morning, although defeated in the action of the afternoon.
    The Wilmington Journal of Thursday has the following from the Quartermaster of the 18th 
    Richmond, May 29:  Messrs Fulton & Price:
    No Wilmington boys killed in the engagement of the 18th Regiment on Tuesday.
    Captain Brown, Company A, and Charles Flanner, Company G, were reported missing 
    yesterday at 12:00.  About 100 boys have been killed and wounded.  Companies 
    B, C, D, E, F, H and K suffered the most.  In Companies A and G the loss is very small.  
    Company I has none wounded or killed.
    A.D. Cazaux
    The Journal adds:
    From a dispatch, not from a member of the regiment, we learn that the whole regiment, from 
    Colonel Cowan down, greatly distinguished itself, taking and retaking a battery of the enemy 
    three times, but being finally compelled to abandon it by an overwhelming superior force of the 
    enemy.  Of our loss in killed and wounded we have not heard.
    The Journal of Friday learns from “private dispatches here, that 1st Lt. George A. Johnston 
    and Private Stolter of Company A, (German volunteers) are killed.  We have not heard 
    anything from Capt. T.W. Brown of the same company, reported missing.”
    “Private Charles Flanner of Company G (Wilmington Light Infantry) reported missing, is known 
    to have been taken prisoner.”
    The Petersburg Express has heard:
    During the early part of the infantry fight, we obtained many advantages over the Hessians, 
    and several times drove them back, but they were constantly reinforce, while we could obtain 
    no reinforcements and night closed with the Confederates in full retreat, leaving Yankees in 
    full possession of the field, and all our killed and wounded, save a few of the latter, whose 
    injuries were so slight, that they had no difficulty in saving themselves.
    During the fight we took four pieces of artillery but they were all retaken by the enemy who 
    succeeded in capturing one of our pieces and still have it in their possession, for aught we 
    know to the contrary.
    Fayetteville Observer, Monday, June 9, 1862
    Camp 2nd Brigade (Gen. Branch)
    Near Richmond, Va., June 4, 1862
    Messrs. E.J. Hale & Sons:
    Please publish the following list for the benefit of our relatives and friends at home who are 
    doubtless anxious to learn the particulars of the engagement of the 27th ult., near Hanover 
    Ct. House, Va., where the 28th N.C. Regiment (Col. Lane) took part.  We are not aware of 
    having lost any member of our company killed or wounded; there are twelve missing, 
    supposed to be prisoners, as they became exhausted during the retreat and were left behind.  
    The names of the missing are as follows:
    1st Sgt. Isaac Williams
    Corp. Wm. Tippet
    Corp. Elisha Hall
    Privates J.H. Ballard
    Miles M. Ballard
    Jno. W. Hall
    Angus McAulay
    James McCaskill
    James A. Reddin
    J.C. Russell
    Calvin Smith
    D.W. Waisner
    We are destitute of clothing, save one suit each, having thrown down our knapsacks upon 
    the commencement of the action.  Our troops all fought bravely
    W.D. Barringer
    Capt, Commanding Company E, 28th Regiment N.C.T.
    Fayetteville Observer, Monday, June 16, 1862
    Latham’s N.C. Battery
    The following was the loss at Hanover C.H.:
    Killed, none; mortally wounded, Corp. Z.W. Burgess and Privates Wm. Smith and Henry 
    Gaskins; severely wounded, Privates George Malpass, James Malpass, Allen Hardey and 
    Wm. Hankins; slightly wounded, Privates Daniel Lee, Richard Tindle, and Islar Taylor; 
    missing and left sick, eleven. The battery also lost one limber, one caisson, one brass 
    howitzer and twelve horses.

    Transcribed by Christine Spencer May & June 2007 & January 2008

    Back to Campaigns

    Back to NC in the Civil War Home Page