Military Information, Formations and News October 1862-December 1863

    These pages are dedicated to the memory of all the men from North Carolina that fought in the Civil War.

    Fayetteville Observer, Monday, October 27, 1862
    Yesterday morning the old market was the scene of what seems to have been a deliberate 
    murder, the victim being James G. Gray and the perpetrator James T. Short, both members 
    of the 59th N.C.R.  It appeared from the evidence before the Coroner’s jury that Gray, the 
    deceased, was passing along the west side of Seventeenth Street, between Grace and 
    Franklin, about 7:30 pm when he was hailed by Short from the opposite side and called to a 
    halt.  Gray, it is supposed, took the challenge as a piece of playfulness on Short’s part, and 
    kept on, turning his head, and smiling at Short, who drawing up a musket which he carried, 
    fired.  The ball entered Gray’s head, nearly tearing off the top of his skull.  Gray leaped several 
    feet into the air and fell over dead.  Mr. Ellis, the clerk of the market, who was a witness to the 
    deed, arrested Short, and handed him over to the police who lodged him in the cage.  He made 
    no effort to escape but said he thought his musket was unloaded.  Richmond Examiner, 24th  
    North Carolina Standard
    November 5, 1862
    I will give $30 reward for the apprehension and delivery into camp of the following deserters 
    assigned to the 28th N.C.R., who deserted from Camp Lee near Richmond between the 5th 
    and 20th October:
    Peter Simpson, 119th N.C.M., 31, Union County
    Allan Simpson, 119th N.C.M., 28, Union County
    Andrew Simpson, 119th N.C.M., 24, Union County
    Ellison Simpson, 119th N.C.M., 19, Union County
    John Medley, 32nd N.C.M., 22, Union County
    Hampton Baker, 119th N.C.M., age not known, Union County
    Aaron Hinson, 119th N.C.M., 20(?), Union County
    Jeremiah Hinson, 119th N.C.M., 22, Union County
    Wilbern Hasty, 119th N.C.M., 21, Union County
    John H. Brown, 121st N.C.M., 25, Forsythe County
    Calvin Fulk, 121st N.C.M., 25, Forsythe County
    Jacob Fulk, 121st N.C.M., 23, Forsythe County
    J.T. Job, 49th N.C.M., 27, Alamance County
    J.T. Butler, 26th N.C.M, 26, Duplin County
    J.W. Randle, lt. col. Commanding
    Conscripts for the 28th N.C.R.
    Fayetteville Observer, Monday, November 10, 1862
    A Fight Near Greenville, N.C.
    We are favored with sight of a letter received here today from a member of Captain Robert’s 
    Company, 56th Regiment, (Col. Faison’s) dated 8 miles below Tarborough, Nov. 3, from which 
    we make the following condensed extracts:
    At 12:00 yesterday (Sunday) the “long roll” summoned us to strike tents and be off from our 
    camp near Goldsborough.  We started on the train about sunset, reached Tarboro’ about 10:00 
    and slept out doors.  We pitched tents and left baggage in Tarboro’ and the regiment marched 
    abut 12 miles today, expecting to meet the Yankees before night, as there was a fight a few 
    miles below here yesterday and our forces were retreating.  Three miles this side of Tarboro’ we 
    met our wounded, some 15 or 20, in carts, etc.  They are wounded in every way, some very 
    seriously.  It seems that there were only two or three companies of the 25th Regiment engaged 
    against some four or five regiments of the enemy.  That our men, after gallantly holding their 
    ground for some time, were forced to fall back to the main body of the regiment (in command 
    of Col. H.K. Burgwyn) who in turn fell back to avoid being flanked.  We lost 8 or 10 killed and 
    15 or 20 wounded.  Yankee loss unknown but I was informed that one company of their cavalry 
    was nearly annihilated.  A Lieutenant who was in the fight gave me these as facts.  We met the 
    59th retreating.  They have about 80 Union men prisoners who they call “buffaloes”.  They are a 
    hard looking set, not much disposed to talk. The 26th and 17th are coming back (retreating) and 
    will come up tonight.  We all expect to go back to Tarboro’ in the morning as the gunboats are 
    ascending the Tar River to cut us off.
    North Carolina Standard
    November 12, 1862
    James Cain of Capt. Jas. E. Branch’s artillery and John Bowers of Company D, 44th Regiment 
    N.C.T. were shot in obedience to the sentence of the court martial at the encampment of Col. 
    Singletary’s command at 1:00 yesterday afternoon.  They were taken out of jail an hour or two 
    before and conveyed to the spot of execution (a short distance southeast of the city) in an 
    ambulance wagon, their arms pinioned and their persons well guarded.  Cain bore his fate with 
    apparent indifference and laughed and conversed as if he were going to a wedding feast.  He 
    considered the sentence which had been passed upon him a just one and said that had the 
    Confederate government been as strict twelve months ago the army would have been saved the 
    loss of many valuable soldiers and he, for one, would still be in the ranks.  Bowers, on the other 
    hand, exhibited a vastly different spirit from Cain.  He wept profusely when taken out of jail and 
    while being taken to the place of execution but subsequently bore up better.  They were shot at 
    1:00 and both fell dead at the first fire, pierced by several balls.  Petersburg Express
    We had the pleasure of seeing a day or two since Benjamin K. Pond, Esq., of Anson on his way 
    to Virginia with 6,000 pounds of clothing and  provisions for soldiers from that county.
    Four regiments of state reserves selected according to their locations in the state are accepted 
    by the Secretary of War and ordered to report to General Beauregard for 90 days service near 
    Charleston.  The regiments are commanded by Col. E.B.C. Cash and J.H. Witherspoon, J.J. 
    Ryan and C.J. Elford.
    Clem G. Wright, Esq., of Fayetteville has been appointed to a position on the staff of General 
    Bev. Robertson who succeeded the lamented General Ashby of the Confederate Cavalry.  Mr. 
    Wright belonged to the company of Rangers raised in Cumberland.
    Broke jail on the 5th inst., in Person County and escaped, George Eastwood a deserter of 
    medium height with light brown hair, about 21.
    Fayetteville Observer, Monday, November 17, 1862
    The 56th Regiment
    We have seen letters from the 56th (Col. Faison’s), one from “Camp 5 Miles N.E. of Tarboro, 
    Nov. 9th” and another from “Bivouac Near Hamilton, Nov. 12th.” 
    The first says:
    It is agreed on all hands that Burgwyn’s Regiment (the 26th) fought magnificently in the Battle of 
    Rawls’ Mills and a section of Moore’s Battery, two guns, commanded by himself, is said to have 
    slaughtered the enemy at a great rate.  One of Brugwyn’s companies fired into a Yankee Cavalry 
    Company, emptying two thirds of the saddles, it is said and believed.  
    On Tuesday, to the surprise and delight of all, Gov. Vance and General Martin arrived, and a 
    forward movement was ordered for the next morning, the force then consisting of the 17th, 26th, 
    42nd, 56th and 59th Regiments, and three cavalry companies. (The writer describes the 
    subsequent marches and countermarches and proceeds)—A company of the 42nd had been 
    sent 200 or 300 yards down the road where they met the advance of the cavalry of the enemy 
    and fired into them.  The fire was returned, when the enemy retreated.  They then brought up 
    their artillery and fired six or eight shots and then—I know not why—retired.  The entire regiment 
    afterwards joined the 42nd, about night, and all were posted inline of battle and artillery pointed, 
    ready to open when the morning came.  The men slept by their arms.  Our position was well 
    chosen, and we could almost certainly have whipped 4,000 to 5,000 Yankees.  But in the 
    morning they were gone, having retreated about midnight.  We pursued, picking up here and 
    there a nice looking stray Yankee and passed one of their cavalry corporals, shot in three 
    places, lying about a quarter of a mile from our bivouac.  We marched all day without being 
    able to find the Yankees.  Col. Faison now commands a brigade, and we have just been 
    ordered to Hamilton, Martin County
    The letter of the 12th says:
    We left our position, five miles from Tarboro on Monday morning, marched some 18 miles to 
    a point four miles this side of Palmyra, a small collection of houses on the south side of the 
    Roanoke and 13 miles hence, took up the march again yesterday morning and arrived at 
    Hamilton at 11:00 am.  
    Our present bivouac is a mile east of Hamilton.  On our march hither we passed two Yankee 
    camps—one on Monday, the other yesterday.  They still contained indications of most wanton 
    plundering.  There were dead hogs, geese and chickens in abundance strewn throughout the 
    camps and in the neighborhood of them—generally with the choice parts pulled off and the rest 
    thrown away as though a world of eatables were at the disposal of the vandals.  The valuable 
    papers of citizens, living from here to Washington or further were scattered in the roads and 
    over the fields and woods, generally either torn or so defaced as to be worthless.  The carriages, 
    wagons and other vehicles which they did not carry off wee smashed or burned—the broken, 
    charred pieces could be seen in many places.  Probably twenty of the eighty houses which I 
    suppose Hamilton contained have been burned, generally nice ones, I am told.  The population 
    remaining appear to be patriotic and well disposed.
    The last information we have is that the enemy has abandoned this immediate section of the 
    country, having retreated rather precipitately to Washington and Newbern.  They seem to have 
    heard, a short time after his arrival, of the presence of Gov. Vance.  The country people say 
    that they heard that the governor had come down with 20,000 men; whereupon, being seized 
    with much fear, they left in haste.  It is thought the expedition of the enemy was intended as 
    simply a raid.
    The 26th Regiment
    We have seen a letter from an officer in this regiment, dated Tarborough, Nov. 12, stating that 
    the Brigade (Pettigrew’s) has been ordered to (censored)—the Yankees having left that country 
    and the 26th was to leave that evening or the next morning.
    Of previous movements of the regiment, the writer says:
    We marched nine miles the morning it snowed and you can perhaps imagine that we had a 
    pretty hard time, especially those who were bare footed for there were some who had no shoes.  
    My own shoes were ripped open and my socks (thin) were worn out, admitting plenty of mud 
    and water.  We have had a rough time of it; yet none complain.  
    The writer gives an account, substantially the same as we have published in the Observer,  of 
    the fight of a portion of the 26th with the enemy, whose force he states at 2,500 infantry, artillery 
    and cavalry.  “Three companies of the 26th drove back, three times, three regiments of infantry, 
    two companies of artillery, and one company of cavalry, and held them in check until 
    reinforcements came.  Our loss was two killed and 18 wounded.”
    North Carolina Standard
    November 19, 1862
    Lenoir, Caldwell Co., November 3
    Dear Sir:
    My attention was called the other day to an ad in the Standard on the 23rd ult.  I feel compelled 
    to note briefly the great injustice done to the brave and worthy young men belonging to Company 
    A, 22nd Regiment N.C. Troops, who have been published to the world as deserters.  I take this 
    occasion to say that Privates Thomas Knight and Alfred Story, C.a. Greer and L.L. Anderson 
    were wounded in the battles near Richmond, two of whom, Anderson and Knight, very dangerously 
    in the thighs and legs and neither of them have been able to walk with the aid of a crutch since; 
    that Story received a dangerous wound in his breast from which he has not yet recovered.  C.A. 
    Greer was shot in the hand and the lead is still in the joint of his finger.  Henry Jones who was 
    also published as a deserter has been in bed all summer; moreover he is not a member of that 
    company since its reorganization last spring, though for a time acting with it in the Battle of 
    Seven Pines.  There are various other members of said company published as deserters who 
    were in the battles around Richmond and wounded, some severely, who have since returned to 
    the army and who were at the time of their publication as deserters with their companies in 
    General Lee’s army.
    C.C. Jones
    North Carolina Standard
    December 3, 1862
    Capt. R.B. Vance of the 29th N.C.R. was at Asheville on the 27th.  He was not very well but 
    hoped to rejoin his regiment stationed at Winchester, Tennessee.
    Deserted from Company F, 47th Regiment, Barnett Rudd, alias Moore, and Sanie W. Bailey, of 
    Granville Co., N.C.  Rudd is 52 years of age, 5’9”, gray hair, fair complexion, active and athletic.  
    Bailey is 40 some years of age, 5’10”, dark haired, long black hair, stooped in the shoulders, has 
    the scar of a burn on one cheek and frequently sucks his teeth while talking.  Both have families 
    and as they are above the conscript age they have probably moved west of Granville Co.  A 
    reward of $40 for each will be paid.
    W.C. Lankford
    Captain, Company F, 47th N.C.T.
    North Carolina Standard
    December 17, 1862
    We are glad to see that the Wilmington Journal is authorized to deny the reported death of 
    Captain W. J. Houston of Duplin.  Mrs. Houston had gotten a letter from a member of his 
    company stating that his horse was shot from under him and he was captured by the enemy.
    We learn that Capt. R.S. Tucker and Lt. T.J. Utley of Tucker’s Cavalry have resigned because 
    the company has been forced into the 3rd Cavalry and the officers and men deprived of the right 
    to choose their field officers.
    Headquarters Company I, 32nd Regiment N.C.T.
    The following men have deserted from my company:  Lucien Brown, Duncan Campbell, R.A. 
    Jones, John Phillips, Noah Phillips, J.R. Pool, from Chatham County.
    Also, Calvin Billings, A.J. Blackburn, A.W. Cheek, Isaac Hoots(?) Houts(?), L.M. Hoots(?) 
    Houts(?), Stephen Hoots(?) Houts(?), W.A. Mahaffy, Felix Porter, James M. Porter, (first name 
    illegible) Soots, Joseph Soots, W.f. Soots, from Wilkes County
    Also James Fann from Raleigh
    I will pay $60 for each of the above deserters delivered to camp.
    W.L. London, Captain
    North Carolina Standard
    December 31, 1862
    Wilson Mangum of Wake County having qualified in Company D, 30th Regiment N.C.T. as a 
    substitute for L.B. Allen and having neglected or refused to go to camp is hereby declared a 
    deserter. $30 will be paid for his apprehension and delivery to camp near Fredericksburg, Virginia
    E. Grissom, Captain, Company D, 30th Regiment
    $100 reward is offered for the apprehension and delivery to the camp of instruction, near the city 
    of Raleigh, John Medlin, Jr., a conscript who deserted about two months ago from Camp Lee, 
    Virginia.  He is from Union Co., N.C. and is charged with the murder of Lt. Hosea Little of the 
    82nd Regiment N.C. Militia while trying to apprehend him.  John Medlin, Jr., is about six feet tall 
    and weighs about 175 pounds.  He has a fair, reddish complexion, light brown or sandy hair, and 
    grayish brown eyes.  On the night of Monday, 22nd inst., while in the charge of the officers who 
    arrested him, he jumped from the train at the Company’s shops on the N.C. Railroad and made 
    his escape.  At the time, he had on brown clothes, much worn, and a hat that was once white.  
    He was also tightly handcuffed and his wrists will probably be marked if the handcuffs have been 
    John C. Winder, A.A.G.
    The following members of the 28th Regiment are hereby notified to report to their regiment forthwith 
    or be considered as deserters:
    William L. Macy, Mark Brindle, Nathan Bundy, William Buchanan, Washington Brewbaker, S.H. 
    Bryant, James Q. Comer(?) Conner(?), Alex Brewbaker, Miles Dobbins, William Dobbins, Joseph
    Everage, Leander Holcomb, D.H. Jennings, B.W. Johnson, A. Legans, T.E. Macy, Alfred Martin, 
    J.G. McBride, B.(?) T. McCain, Z. Melton, Elijah Petty, James Stokers(?), Jacob Waggoner, S.W. 
    Fayetteville Observer, February, 1863
    From the North Carolina Soldiers
    For the Observer
    South Quay, Southampton Co., Va., Feb. 6
    Messrs. Editors:
    Permit me, for the information of your readers in Richmond County, a summary of the operations 
    of the Harrington Light Artillery, Captain Louis H. Webb, since its entrance upon active operations.
    The company reported to Richmond, Virginia last May and while awaiting its equipment for the 
    field, was kept on active duty in and around that city until late in September.
    During the Seven Pines and Seven Days fights below that city, it was on duty in one of the heavy 
    batteries of the “inner lines”.  After the battle of Gaines Mills, and while the fight was still raging 
    lower down the Chickahominy, a call was made upon our company for thirty men for temporary 
    duty with the Crenshaw Light Artillery of Richmond—then ordered to the front—when, although 
    only thirty were wanted, the whole company fit for duty declared their readiness to go; and it 
    became necessary, therefore, to choose from those volunteering, the number desired; and they 
    were accordingly chosen and accompanied by our Captain and Lt. Horne (who, although no 
    officers were called for or needed, were permitted to go with us).  We moved down the river with 
    the pursuing forces of General Lee and continued in the pursuit, without, however, getting “under 
    fire” until McClellan had reached the protecting shelter of his gunboats, when we were again 
    ordered to Richmond, where we remained until we were fully equipped for Light Artillery service, 
    about the last of September, with two six pounder smooth bores and two twelve pounder 
    Howitzers, the latter two being of the splendid battery of field guns surrendered to the State of 
    North Carolina from the Fayetteville arsenal.
    On the night of the 1st November last we were ordered suddenly from Richmond to Petersburg, 
    and subsequently to the line of the Blackwater.
    On the 23rd December our third piece, under the command of Sgt. J.T. Gibson, engaged a 
    squadron of enemy cavalry at Joyner’s Bridge, when after a few well directed and rapid shots, 
    they hastily left, carrying with them their killed and wounded, leaving on the field on horse fully 
    equipped and numerous articles of wearing apparel, accoutrements, etc, which fell into our hands.
    The first section of the battery, under Captain Webb’s immediate command, was ordered about 
    the 16th December to the point from which this is written to prevent the approach of the enemy’s 
    gunboats a second time on the Blackwater. The duties of the position were onerous and hard in 
    the extreme—the officers, men and horses being almost worn out by two weeks’ constant 
    watching for and expectation of the approach of the boats, which, however, after keeping us 
    thus constantly on the qui vive, by shelling the woods and moving about the waters of the 
    Chowan and Blackwater junction, retired and have since given us no trouble.
    We have made frequent marches across the river in the direction of Suffolk with the forces under 
    General Pryor, causing not a little consternation among the Yankees at that place, and last 
    week one section of the battery, under the command of Lt. H.R. Horne (of your town) participated 
    in the engagement at Kelly’s in Nansemond County, some ten miles from Suffolk, between our 
    forces, under Brig. Gen. Roger A. Pryor and the enemy commanded by the notorious Jno. 
    Corcoran of New York.
    I am permitted to copy Lt. Horne’s report, which will sufficiently and plainly indicate the part 
    which we took in that battle:
    South Quay, Feb. 1, 1863
    Captain H.L. Webb, commanding the Harrington Light Artillery:  I have the honor to report that 
    in obedience to your orders I moved on Sunday, 25th ult., with the 2nd and 4th detachments 
    of your company and two twelve pounder Howitzers of your battery, with the forces of Brig. 
    Gen’l. R.A. Pryor; crossing the Blackwater River at “Old South Quay” to Somerton and thence 
    by short marches to Kelly’s place on the road leading from Carrsville to Suffolk, where we 
    camped on the night of Thurs., 29th ult., the section of my command being parked about a 
    quarter of a mile in the rear of our line of battle, or front of our forces.
    About 3:30 am on Friday, the enemy opening a heavy fire of artillery upon our advance, my 
    section was immediately made ready for action but held in reserve until about 7:00 am when 
    our advance having retired to the position occupied by my section and one section of Capt. 
    Martin’s battery, we opened upon the enemy at about 600 yards distant, and continued the fire 
    until about 11:00 am at which time the enemy’s fire ceased.
    We moved thence about 1:00 pm with the column to Beaverdam Church, on the road from 
    Carrsville to Franklin, where we camped and remained until 12:00 the next day whence we 
    moved to and re-crossed the Blackwater River, reaching camp at South Quay about 5:00 pm 
    on the 31st ult.
    The men under my command acted with remarkable coolness and courage, firing with great 
    rapidity and accuracy, and where all did well, to particularize would be invidious.
    I am happy to report that though in an exposed position and under fire for several hours, no 
    loss was sustained and only three horses slightly wounded.
    I am, Captain, yours very respectfully,
    Henry R. Horne
    Lt., Commanding 2nd Section
    Harrington Light Artillery
    At this point was the first general engagement which many of our men had participated in, their 
    coolness and excellent conduct under a galling fire speaks volumes for their bravery, their 
    discipline and the excellence of their instruction.
    During the above mentioned engagement, Captain Webb, with the first section and a small 
    force of infantry, was on duty guarding a crossing of the river below this place, he having been 
    ordered to that position by General Pryor, when the forces crossed over.
    We are as pleasantly situated as we could desire, having comfortable quarters erected by 
    ourselves, and at our own cost, and though we would greatly prefer to be facing the enemy 
    on our own soil, yet in holding this point, only about four miles from N.C. state line, we feel 
    that we are defending the good old state.
    The health of our company is excellent, and their spirits buoyant—if we can judge from the 
    loud laughter now ringing through the camp, from a party of snow-balling one of the lieutenants, 
    who has sought shelter from the furious fire of “bums” (as Sol calls them) behind a brush pile.
    Yours, etc., 
    North Carolina Standard
    April 1, 1863
    We learn that Capt. P.A. Wilson, Acting Quartermaster, has resigned.  He had been three 
    months at the head of the clothing department in this city and has discharged his duties with 
    credit to himself.
    We learn that Capt. Mallett, having sufficiently recovered from his wounds received at the 
    Battle of Kinston, has resumed his place as commandant of the camp of conscripts near 
    this city.  Col. August, who has occupied the place during Col. Mallett’s absence, retired 
    with the respect of our people generally.
    A correspondent of the Progress compliments in high terms Capt. John N. Whitford for his 
    gallant conduct in the recent attack by General Pettigrew on Ft. Barrington; and a 
    correspondent of the Wilmington Journal says that Drum Major Henry Nutt of the 50th N.C.T. 
    distinguished himself by his coolness and daring in the recent fight at Deep Gully.  Nutt is 
    but 16 years old.  
    $30 reward
    Headquarters, 39th N.C.V.
    Camp near Shepleyville(?), Tennessee, March 20
    $30 reward will be paid for the apprehension of James C. Axby, private in Company C of this 
    regiment.  It is possible that Axby has joined Captain Whitaker’s Company of Thomas’ Legion 
    now in east Tennessee near the N.C. line.
    Jas. D. Harden, Adjutant
    Fayetteville Observer, Monday, Dec. 21, 1863
    North Carolina Artillery Troops
    The following Heavy Artillery Companies have been organized into the 40th 
    Regiment N.C.T.
    Captain A.W. Ezell, Lenoir, Company A
    Captain W. Tripp, Beaufort, Company B
    Captain J.E. Leggatt, Beaufort, Company C
    Captain James Lane, Craven, Company D
    Captain M.H. McBryde, Robeson, Company E
    Captain Jno. C. Robertson, Greene, Company F
    Captain Wm. A. Holland, Lenoir, Company G
    Captain Calvin Barnes, North Hanover, Company H
    Captain C.C. Whitehurst, Beaufort, Company I
    Captain George Tait, Bladen, Company K
    The Governor has commissioned the following field officers of this Regiment:
    John J. Hedrick, New Hanover, Colonel
    George Tait, Bladen, Lt. Colonel
    Wm. A. Holland, Lenoir, Major
    Colonel Hedrick entered service in April of 1861 as captain of the Cape Fear 
    Light Artillery and was recently promoted to colonel in the provisional army 
    of the Confederate states.
    Lt. Col. Tait entered service as captain of the Bladen Guards, and on the 
    organization of the 18th Regiment (8th Volunteers) he was promoted to major.  
    He resigned as major in January of 1862 and returned home and raised a 
    company of artillery which he has commanded until the present time.
    Major William A. Holland is a graduate of the University of the State and a 
    young officer of much promise.
    The following Light Artillery Companies have been organized into a Battalion 
    and will be known as the 13th Battalion N.C.T.
    Captain L.H. Webb, Richmond, Company A
    Captain Joseph D. Starr, Cumberland, Company B
    Captain Jas. D. Cumming, N. Hanover, Company C
    Captain Zach T. Adams, Beaufort, Company D
    Captain Henry Dickson, Orange, Company E
    Captain John R. Potts, Craven, Company F
    The governor has appointed Capt. Joseph B. Starr, of Cumberland, Lt. Colonel 
    of this Battalion.

    Transcribed by Christine Spencer, September 2007 - April 2008

    Back to Military Information, Formations and News

    Back to NC in the Civil War Home Page

    © 2005-2011  Diane Siniard